1. The APPIC website (www.appic.org)
contains lots of helpful information including:
- the standardized application form that you can download
and complete on your computer
- information about computer matching
- web-links to many internship sites around the country
2. The Canadian Psychological Association has prepared an
internship workbook for students that helps you plan the
entire internship application process and even provides helpful tips regarding
3. Complete your standard application form early! Ask faculty and other
students for feedback on the essay sections of the application.
4. Meet with your guidance committee early in the fall. Your committee
must approve the sites to which you are applying for internship. Complete the
appropriate form and turn it in to Mindy. You cannot independently add new sites
to your list-your committee must approve all selections.
5. Students must apply to APA accredited internship sites.
6. Most students apply to 10-15 sites. Review internship materials in
August and September and make your final choices. There is a copy of the APPIC
Directory of Internship Sites in the Psych Clinic. Also, Mindy has a list of
internships that our former students have taken. If you have questions about a
particular site, you might want to contact one of these students.
7. Don't assume that the Director of Clinical Training knows you are
applying for internship. Students sometimes do not complete their dissertation
proposals in time to apply. Keep the DCT posted as to the progress of your
proposal and the date of the proposal defense.
8. Please give a copy of your application materials to the DCT as soon as
these are finished. There are sections of the application that the DCT must
INTERNSHIP APPLICATION GUIDELINES
FOR FALL, 2010
- Letters of recommendation from all recommenders will be
considered confidential. Under no circumstances will the clinical secretary,
Mindy McLouth, share letters of recommendation with students. This means that
students cannot ask Mindy to read their letters of recommendation, nor may
students carry letters to recommenders for signatures. Individual recommenders
who wish to share their letters of recommendation with students may do so, but
this is at the discretion of the individual recommender and must be arranged
between the student and this person, not Mindy McLouth.
- Once letters are sent to Mindy McLouth, they should not
be revised by the faculty/outside recommender, barring exceptional
circumstances. Recommenders are encouraged to upload their own letters and also
email a copy of their letter to Mindy.
- Student requirements prior to application (see below for
- Approved dissertation proposal.
- List of internship sites to which student will
apply-standard form approved by doctoral guidance committee, signed by guidance
committee chairperson and Director of Clinical Training, and filed with Mindy
- List of internship site addresses and deadlines filed
with Mindy's office. Please put this information on a disk or send via e.mail
attachment to Mindy at McLouth@msu.edu
- Request letters of recommendation from faculty/outside
recommenders and Director of Clinical Training.
- The dissertation proposal defense can occur whenever the
student and his/her committee wish. However, in order to have all letters of
recommendation sent by the clinical secretary in a timely fashion, the following
deadlines are imposed. These deadlines also allow students a reasonable amount
of time to write, request feedback on, and edit, their personal
INTERNSHIP MATERIALS: KEY DUE DATES FOR 2010
- Sept. 16, 2011: Date by which
student satisfactorily defends doctoral dissertation proposal.
- Sept. 30, 2011: Date by which student
has dissertation proposal signed by committee proposal.
- Sept. 30, 2011: Date by which student
files signed internship form and list of internship addresses and deadlines with
- Oct. 7, 2011: Date by which student
needs to open the portal to the APPIC application for internship. Student must
enter the APPIC Part II Form and supporting materials so that DCT can approve
and sign off on submission.
- Oct. 14, 2011: Date by which
paragraphs from references are given to DCT to insert in the DCT letter.
- Oct. 21, 2011: Date by which
student's letters of recommendation are uploaded on-line and emailed to Mindy
McLouth. Date by which DCT letter are uploaded. Students should check with
Mindy prior to this date to make sure letters have been received.